This is how we increased website traffic by +400% in 5 months for one of our clients with search engine optimization. This is a very short and summarized description on how to rank on page one with SEO. To protect the privacy, all the vital information regarding the domain have been excluded.
The business/lead-gen site is operating in Spain and is in a Credit/Payday loan vertical. Main channels are SEO/Google Ads/email/SMS.
Initially this website had a lot of crawl errors, duplicate metaData, excessive page/content indexing. You can find all the basic information here https://backlinko.com/on-page-seo . You should also consider auditing your existing situation https://backlinko.com/seo-site-audit.
Structured Data insertion did not give a penalty from google. You can find everything here https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/intro-structured-data . One thing that has not been worked on is getting an extended search result via rich snippets. This can be done in multiple ways. https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/mark-up-content .
TIP: One reason to work on your structured data is that it will increase your %CTR over your competitors.
TIP: You can use emojis ✅⭐ 🥇 in your metaData to stand out from the rest of SERP’s, which will increase your %CTR.
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) do seem to get a ranking advantage in the search results compared to mobile alternatives. If your developers are able to design a highly converting page. It might be a good idea to implement if you can increase your overall conversions and ranking advantage.
Here are the essentials https://backlinko.com/seo-content . Main focus would be to identify most profitable keywords/keyword groups and focus on ranking them. For that you should analyze at least 10 of your main competitors, easiest way to do it is with https://ahrefs.com/ .
There is a chance that you might have 5 or more keyword groups which can be used for lead generation. This means you should have one page layout which you will use for lead generation pages. And a blog type for general keyword groups. Of course this depends on your vertical.
TIP: Finding all the necessary keyword groups, synonyms and fitting them on your page should be done by an experienced content writer.
This website content has been completely rewritten to incorporate all of the necessary keywords. Due to resource constraint focus has been on lead generation pages only. But general informational pages which can generate brand awareness are also a good choice if there are enough resources to allocate.
Previously no guest posts have been done. Link-building began in July 2018. Previously (no)work was done by a scammy SEO agency.
TIP: To avoid being scammed by SEO agencies that actually don’t do anything. Find a person who can evaluate the work performed on a monthly basis.
TIP: If you have multiple properties you might as well link to all of them through the same post.
TIP: Just keep them on a separate AAA class IP and different SearchConsole/Analytics accounts and don’t use the same anchor texts. “Separate in the eyes of Google.”
Guest Post Checklist:
- Guest post should be optimized for the long tail keyword variation of the page you are linking to. So they can rank and generate traffic. Add images or iframes to guest posts if possible.
- Should only link to your properties with anchor texts relating to the page you are linking to. Save exact match anchor texts for the strongest domains. Link only to your domains.
- Should post on sites that get real traffic in your market. This is vertical specific.
- Guest post should be kept at least couple of days on the front page and then moved to inner page. So Google crawler can follow the anchors when the guest post is on the main home page.
- Guest post should be written to attract Tier2 links. This is quite difficult but will be worth it in the long run.
- Main rule is “RELEVANCE”. Your guest post topic, keywords, anchor text, website and the page you are linking from, should transfer topical relevance to your target page. Forget PBN’s, Directory pages or other low quality links.
- You can rank higher with less links if you are linking from strong domains, with relevant posts that get traffic.
How to find guest post post opportunities?
- Find all your competitors on ahrefs.com and export their backlinks. Delete all backlinks with a low Domain Rating. I chose with DR:30+
- Hire someone on upwork to find emails and contact them with a message through contact-up page. You can use Gmass to send bulk custom emails.
- Get articles written for the long-tail keyword from the same keyword group. This means you will attract new viewers and hopefully Tier2 links.
Traffic does not always translate into revenue
Link building began in June-July and here you can see how it correlates with increases in traffic.
Here is how acquired leads actually grew month over month. This is a clear example that one should focus on main lead generation pages. In this case there are only 5 pages that generate leads.
TIP: Identify you main revenue generating pages/keywords and just focus on ranking them. In most cases its better to allocate resources to Off-Page SEO and rank your most important pages first. Rather than fill your website with miscellaneous pages that don’t actually generate leads.
- Having a solid website structure will make ranking way more easier. Using WordPress isn’t always easier.
- You can set up a unified CMS that will generate static html websites on unique AAA class IP’s. This will allow you to link to 3+ properties simultaneously. Which will lower your Off-Page SEO cost significantly.
- Allocate your SEO budget on ranking main revenue generating keywords.
- Sometimes you don’t need Open Graph Meta Tags/Structured data but it is generally a good idea to implement regardless of the vertical.
- To increase your %CR consider analyzing your visitor behavior with Heatmaps, Funnel analytics, GoogleAnalytics Events.
- SMS/email is sometimes a very cost effective solution to generate new revenue from existing leads. Direct traffic is a major ranking factor as long as you are not doing meta refresh redirect or redirect chain.
- Linking velocity is kept at 10 guest posts per month.
- Anchor text ratio is insignificant as long as linking anchors are from strong domains & relevant traffic generating guest posts.
- Be sure to check your existing backlinks and use disavow tool to remove non relevant low quality backlinks.
- If you have been a victim of negative SEO then clean up your backlinks and move to a “clean IP” if necessary.